Monday, January 6, 2014

TMR Is A French Futurist (And Everything's Going Black)


Janine di Giovanni has just written The Fall of France for NewsweekShe is currently living there

I am going to compare a few of her comments with those from TMR's five-year-old post, Just Face The Facts: Nobody In Their Right Mind Would Want To Live Like This (More On France):

Keep in mind - I knew all this for 5 years before I wrote my comments five years ago:






Newsweek, January 3, 2014



- TMR, July 9, 2009



Newsweek, January 3, 2014






- TMR, July 9, 2009




Another banker friend spent her three-month paid maternity leave sailing around Guadeloupe – as it is part of France, she continued to receive all the benefits.

Yet another banker friend got fired, then took off nearly three years to find a new job, because the state was paying her so long as she had no job. “Why not? I deserve it,” she said when I questioned her. “I paid my benefits into the system.” Hers is an attitude widely shared.

When you retire, you are well cared for. There are 36 special retirement regimes – which means, for example, a female hospital worker or a train driver can retire earlier than those in the private sector because of their 'harsh working conditions,' even though they can never be fired" 


Newsweek, January 3, 2014




...I've seen school teachers with up to 10 assistants - what they refer to as "functionaires" - doing nothing but make-work, or drawing with crayons. How about 9 guys standing around a pothole, with two working and the other 7 smoking for 8 hours? And even the functionaires hate what it's doing to them:


- TMR, July 9, 2009

3 comments:

  1. Have you also heard the laughter rising from France? 70% of the facts are false and she can't even spell properly the name of her favourite French CEO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, "70% of the facts are false" but they match up, perfectly, with my experience living there for over 20 years.

    Wanna try again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm french, living in france since 35 years. 70% of the facts are false. Really.

    Wanna try again?

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON